Thursday, July 26, 2007

Show current Windows Media Player music status in Google Talk

My Google Talk is not showing the current music I am playing in Windows Media Player even though I had enabled the show current music status. After consulting Google Talk Help, I found the following tips. So, the following is for the convenience of those who faced the same problem as me.

Windows Media Player is designed to disable all plug-ins (including the Google Talk music status plug-in) whenever Windows Media Player or your Windows desktop crashes. To re-enable the Google Talk plug-in:

  1. Open Windows Media Player.
  2. From the View menu, select Plug-ins > Options...
  3. From the Category section of the Plug-ins tab, select Background.
  4. Select the Google Talk Music Plugin checkbox.
  5. Click OK.

You'll need to close and restart Windows Media Player for your change to take effect.


  1. Thanks a lot. I have having the same problem and this solved it immediately, but I did not have to restart either program. :)

  2. I've followed these instructions as well, but the google plug-in isn't showing up under the windows media menuu for me. I'm going to try on my home PC and see if I can get it to work there.