Monday, September 06, 2004

Ever view source in GMail before?

I had always been curious about why GMail seems to be more responsive than most of the other web applications I had use. Out of curiousity, I look at the html/Javascript source code that was generated and rendered by my browser. I was unable to understand what was actually being generated as it seems to use a single function named D() to render its display. Thus I made a search on Google and found out about the Gmail engine and protocol. I think if this new technique takes on successfully, others may follow suit and this will change the way web developers work dramatically. Read more about it.

1 comment:

  1. This link is to GMail's API, not to what's used internally by GMail itself. GMail uses AJAx, rather than refreshing the page for every click, which is why it seems so snappy.

    ReplyDelete